1879 – William Brunton & Co., No.43 Henry Street, Dublin
New furniture warehouse, Henry St. for Messrs. W. Brunton and Co. Destroyed during the Easter Rising of 1916. Published in The Irish Builder, December 1 1879.
“A crowning feature in the street is the new and very attractive warehouse of Messrs. William Brunton and Co. at No. 43, just completed. A cursory glance oven from the exterior is almost sufficient to give an idea of the extent of the area provided for the display of the goods of this well-known firm. The entire building from basement to attic will be utilised.
The premises present a frontage of 56 ft. in height to parapet, with French roof over same of 10 ft., and a breadtli of 32 ft. The entire front is faced with Bridge water red brick, with dressings of limestone and terracotta. The shop facade is supported on limestone pillars in one length, the whole superstructure resting on iron girders with metal pilasters.
The principal or shop floor extends to about 80 ft., over a portion of which is a lantern light. The three upper floors and attic extend to about 55 ft. The walls throughout are sheeted, and painted in a delicate shade of green. The ceilings are of pitch pine in well-arranged panels, and highly varnished. The staircases (which are curved at foot) are 7 ft. in width, having handsome newelposts and balusters. The shop doors are of American walnut, the upper portions of which and sash over are filled in with lead lights and ornamental cathedral glass. Instead of shutters, the shop front is enclosed by a light railing of neat pattern, and there is a gate to entrance porch of the same character. A hydraulic lift has been supplied by a Glasgow firm, the cage of which is 8 ft. by 4 ft. To work this lift the Vartry water has been brought into requisition, laid on from street main. The entire floor of basement has been laid in asphalte by the Mineral Rock Asphalte Company, Hanover-street, under Mr. Fottrell’s patent.
The following classification will be adopted in these spacious and well-arranged concerns : The first floor will be devoted to diningroom, library and hall requisites. The second to carpets, looking-glasses, window curtains. The third to drawing-room furniture of which there will be a grand display. In the upper floor will be found bed-room furniture in all its varieties. The basement will include iron bedsteads, also servants’-room and kitchen furniture.” The Irish Builder, October 15 1879.