“This house stands on an eminence overlooking the sea, and occupies some .5 acres of land covered with pines and Scotch firs. The exterior is executed in yellow stocks with special red dressings, the chimneys also being in red bricks. The gables are constructed of solid half timber work, and the roof covered with Brosoley tiles. The windows are arranged to produce the effect of casements, with the convenience of the ordinary sash and frame, the transom being made use of for the purpose of ventilation. The interior has been carried out in character with the exterior, the woodwork in entertaining rooms, hall, staircase, mantels, &c., being executed in pitch-pine from special designs. The drawing-room averages 24ft. by 19ft. dining-room 22ft. by 19ft., morning-room 19ft. by 171’t., kitchen 16ft. square, and servants hall l-ift. by 10ft. The kitchen and offices are all on the ground-floor. Every care has been taken with the sanitary arrangements and ventilation. The whole ha,s been executed by day-work and piece-work, all materials being supplied by the owner. Mr. Faggetter has acted as clerk of works under the superintendence of the architect, Mr. J. Nixon Horsfield.” Published in The Building News, November 5 1880.