Largely constructed by 1885 of local limestone with Tullamore limestone dressings – the tower, spire, and organ gallery were later added by T.F. McNamara to O’Callaghan’s original designs. The interior retains its original Caen stone altar fittings, a richly decorated chancel with elaborate painted panels, good quality mosaic tiling to the sanctuary and has stained glass windows, some by Mayer & Co.
“This church is being erected on a beautiful site next the Parochial House for the Very Rev. Father Luke Barton, P.P. It is built of best local limestone, with dressings of Tullamore limestone, and is slated with Killaloe slates. The plan comprises – nave, chance, baptistry, transepts, two sacristies, etc. The tower and belfry, which stand at the south-west angle, give a picturesqueness to the building. The timbers of the roof are exposed, and give an imposing appearance to the interior. The contract was taken by Mr. John Molloy, of Tullamore, Kings County, and is being carried out under the personal supervision of Mr. J.J. O’Callaghan, architect, Dublin.” Published in The Irish Builder, May 1 1883.