1886 – The Dundalk Club, Roden Place, Dundalk, Co. Louth
Still standing today, with remarkably intact exterior with some fine decorative ironwork. “The new premises for the Dundalk Club (Limited) have been erected in Roden-place, Dundalk, from the designs and under the superintendence of Mr. John L. O’Hanlon, architect, 4 Dame-street, who was successful in a competition between eighteen architects. The design is in the Italian Gothic style. The materials used are red brick and chiselled limestone. It comprises, on first floor, large reading room lighted by a bay window, and committee-room with folding doors between, which, when thrown open, give a fine spacious apartment for balls etc., On entering through a well designed porch with double doors, the gall is reached, at end of which is lavatory accommodation. On second floor is a good-sized smoking-room with bay window; and at rere is a billiard-room with two tables admirably got up. In the basement are caretaker’s apartments, kitchen, and wine and beer cellars etc. Mr. James Wynne, Dundalk is the contractpr.” Published in The Irish Builder, September 1 1886.