Second Presbyterian Congregation founded in 1708, with the York Street Congregation founded in 1840. Present building largely completed in 1896. Design chosen after an architectural competition in 1895 – Planck was a London-based architect. Construction started soon after but was fully completed until 1911, although the church was in use.
“As soon as the Congregation felt it desirable that they should leave Rosemary Street, with all its dear and honoured associations, they showed a determination to spare no pains to have a Church that would remain for years to come to be a thing of beauty. The undertaking was a heavy responsibility, but the awakened energies of every member proved it to be a work of love. Eighteen months after it was decided to build, the foundation-stones of the six pillars were laid, and twelve months later All Souls’ Church was opened as a place of worship. It may be described as a rough rubble building, with ashlar dressings and green slate roof, late fourteenth century in style, consisting of nave and chancel under one roof, with aisles and clerestory, a low broad tower and spire, and a wooden porch.”