“This design was submitted in an open competition. The sum available was £4,000, which was to include a fire-station and caretaker’s house. The public offices are situated on the ground- floor, the council chamber, &c., on the first floor. The council chamber is indicated on the exterior by a long range of windows, flanked by angle turrets. The materials to be of pressed brick, with stone dressings, and green slates on the roof. The author of the design is Mr. F. W. Mee, architect.” Published in The building News, June 3 1898.