Architect: Hall, Cooper & Davis
“The accompanying drawing is in this year’s Royal Academy Exhibition. The design was selected in competition early last year. Thirty- six sets of designs were sent in, and the premiums were awarded by the assessor, Mr. E.R. Robson, as follows : — 1st, Messrs. Hall, Cooper, and Davis, Scarborough, and 21, Old Queen-street, Westminster ; 2nd, Messrs. Demaine and Brierly, York ; 3rd, Messrs. Marshall and Dick, Newcastle.
The building is constructed of red pressed bricks, with Whitby stone dressings, and roofed with red Ruabon tUes. The architects have endeavoured to combine good proportion in out- line and detail with careful treatment in free Renaissance. There are two fronts, that facing Westwood-road on the north being somewhat severe, whilst the south front entirely differs, in the respect that the central block forms an excellent facade with a series of stone columns, heavy dentilled stone cornice, and large sculptured frieze, illustrating “Mathematics,” “Letters,” ” Music,” “Crafts,” “Chemistry,” ” Art,” &c. The whole of the sculpture has been done by Mr. Henry Fehr. The contractors for the work are as follows : — Brick and stonework, James Bates and Sons ; carpenter and joiner, George Scales ; plaster, Hugh Proctor ; iron and smith’s work, Harry Pickup ; plumber, Tindall and Williams ; painter, Thomas Fidler ; tiler, Joseph Hardgraves ; fireproof floors, Homan and Rogers, Manchester.” Published in The Building News, May 30 1898.