1898 – Reckitt & Sons, Hull, Yorkshire
“This new block of offices, &c., is now in course of erection in Danaon’s-lane, Hull, adjoining the extensive starch and blue works of Messrs. Reckitt and Sons, Limited, having a frontage of 11Oft. to Danson’s-lane and 80ft. to Starchhouse-lane and New Parade respectively. The ground plan shows principal entrance from Danson’s-lane leading into a spacious waiting-hall and a general ofBce, 89ft.by 3’2ft.and 18ft. Gin. high, surrounded by the boardroom, private offices, cashiers’ offices, auditors’ room, travellers’ waiting-room, type- writing-room, and clerks’ dining-room, the latter arranged so that it can be added to general office accommodation when required. The strong- room, 31ft. by 11ft., and stationery-room, 11ft. by 10ft., are connected with general office by a short corridor. There is an entrance at the rear friving easy access to general offirce from the works. On the first floor a large dining-hall, 90ft. by -18ft., 13ft. high, is arranged for the use of the workpeople, with the necessary kitchens, &c. , and is approached by separate staircase for men and women from the back road. The second floor, also the attic floor, is to be used for ware-house purposes. The buildings will be faced with red Ruabon bricks and Howley Park and Worcester stone dressings, and roofed with green slates. The walls of strong-room will be faced inside with white glazed bricks. The inside lavatory walls will be tiled in plain tiles, while the walls of waiting-hall will be faced with faience. The inside joiners’ work will be executed in pitch- pine, but the entrance hall and boardroom will be fitted up in mahogany. The floor of general office will be in wood blocks, while the waitinghall and lavatory floors will be laid in mosaic. The back staircases will be built of solid stone steps and landings. The buildings will be lighted by electricity. The work is being carried out by the following contractors: — Brickwork, Mr. Benjamin Nicholson ; masonry, Mr. G. H. Panton; carpenter and joiners’ work, Jlessrs. Dameley and Son ; slating, Messrs. Wilde and Son ; plumbing and glazing, Jlr. F. Oldfield ; painting, ilr. U. Porter— all of Hull. The whole under the supervision of the architects, Messrs. Gelder and Kitchen, of 76, Lowgate, Hull.” Published in The Building News, January 28 1898.