Built across the border of counties Wexford and Kilkenny between 1902 and 1906 to designs by Benjamin Baker, it is the longest railway bridge in Ireland at 2,131 feet long. There was an opening section closer to the Kilkenny shore to allow ship access up the river. The are eleven spans of 148 feet, the end spans were 144 feet, with the opening section 215 feet. The contractors were Sir William Arrol & Co., of Glasgow.
At the western end it enters a tunnel, 217 yards long, almost immediately. It carried the railway from Waterford to Wexford and on to Rosslare Harbour and closed to passenger traffic in 2010.