The foundation stone was laid on 2nd October 1927, and the official opening took place on 8th September 1929. The architect was Ralph H. Byrne, of W.H. Byrne & Sons, and is in a Romanesque style finished in local stone with chiselled granite dressings of the twin towers, windows and doors. It consists of a spacious nave and on each side a graceful colonnade with Portland stone columns supporting the richly moulded ornamented arches. The sanctuary is semi circular with marble fittings which are richly panelled and inlaid with mosaic.
Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J. Allen.