1959 – John A. Russell Building, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg
Named after John A. Russell who taught at the University for 38 years and was named the first Dean of the Faculty of Architecture in 1964. Dean Russell died in 1966. One of the finest examples of modernism in Winnipeg, the Russell Building is a low two-storey over basement building with a large internal courtyard. This is overlooked by the library, administration, staff lounges and student lounges.
“The upper floor of the building houses workspace and a student lounge, while the main floor accommodates the library, classrooms, administration, staff rooms and lecture theatre. When first constructed, the basement held a workshop, photo laboratory, and drawing, painting and sculpture studios, along with building services”. Winnipeg Architecture Foundation