2012 – Artlab, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg
The School of Art, established in 1913, is Western Canada’s oldest art institution. Originally known as the Winnipeg School of Art, it was based in the former Law Courts building downtown, until in 1950 it affiliated with the University of Manitoba and since has been known simply as the School of Art. It moved to the current campus in 1965. A 70,000 square-foot LEED silver facility designed by Vancouver’s Patkau Architects. 400 students working in paint, digital design, printmaking and drawing use the building, and expansive studios with lots of natural light were included in the design for painting and sculpture students. The main floor houses a new art gallery and storage vaults for the school’s art collection and the building is an integral part of the Tache Arts Complex that will connect to the redevelopment of the Tache Hall student residence.