The present-day entrance gates, offices and mortuary chapel at Glasnevin were designed by J.J. McCarthy (1817 -1882), Ireland’s pre-eminent architect of Catholic churches. Hiberno-Romanesque in style, a symbol of the new Catholic Ireland of the late nineteenth century. The chapel comprises a nave, sanctuary, two transepts and a sacristy. The west porch or main entrance is entered through three arches. The interior walls are of Bath stone, covered by an arched wooden ceiling.
“The dimensions are as follow: length, 79ft. by 29ft.6in. wide; across transepts, 47ft. by 21ft.6in. In the interior, the walls are divided into bays by engaged columns and arches, each bay having triple arcades. The ceiling is coved and divided into compartments by moulded arches springing from carved capitals. The windows are filled with stained glass, and the floor is laid with mosaic. The material used is Granite with a judicious admixture of Portland. The cost was about 8,000. On same occasion a new entrance to the cemetery from Finglas-road was opened.” The Irish Builder, September 1 1879.