Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
mythumbnail

1899 – Royal British Hotel, Princes St., Edinburgh

Architect: James Macintyre Henry

0010

Still a hotel today although much butchered at street level. “This building occupies a prominent site in Princes-street. The pilasters and trusses at the main entrance and the columns of the first floor oriel windows are of red Peterhead granite. The stone used for the rest of the building is from Prudham Quarries, Northumborland. The out- side woodwork is of teak. The main stair steps are of Sicilian marble. The balustrade is mahogany, and all round the entrance hall and up the staircase a panelled dado is carried. In the basement floor, besides the necessary cellar and lavatory accommodation, there is a billiard- room containing five tables, with a buffet adjoining. On the upper floors are several private parlours, drawing-room, and forty bedrooms. The building cost about £20, 00″. Mr. James Macintyre Henry is the architect.”