1875 – St. Catherine of Sienna, Dominican Church, Newry, Co. Down
Church for the Dominicans, foundation stone laid in May 1873. Although dedicated in September 17 1875, the spire was not completed until 1884. The mosaic decoration in chancel & chapels is by Oppenheimer. The cost of the building up to dry course level was the gift of a Cork benefactor, a wealthy tanner.
The sanctuary area survives reasonably intact, minus the altar railings, despite the ravages of architects and church leaders after Vatican II.
“THE site of the new church rises very precipitously from the road, and had to be excavated to an average depth of some fifteen feet before the trenches for foundations were opened. The internal dimensions are 130ft. by 60ft., and the height to the ridge about60ft. The material for the walling is the local granite, with dressings of Dungannon stone. The nave arches and the internal strings and hood-moulds are in Bath stone. The nave columns have caps of Dungannon stone, shafts of red polished granite, and bases of Sicilian marble. The building is now roofed, and will be entirely completed this year. The works have been carried on without a builder, by Mr. McShane as foreman. The cost of the church will be about £8,000.” The Irish Builder, February 15 1875.