1889 – Second Presbyterian Church, Ballywalter, Co. Down
Ballywalter is one of the oldest Presbyterian Congregations in Ireland, beginning with the Rev James Hamilton in 1626. Opened in 1889. “This church which occupies a prominent site in the town, is now in course of erection. It comprises a bave with shallow transepts, session and lecture rooms etc. A staircase in the tower leads to a commodious gallery above the vestibule. The walling is principally of sandstone shoddies from the Scrabo quarroes, Newtownards, the dressings of the doors and windows being tooled. The windows will be filled with cathedral glass in lead quarries of simple design. The church will afford accommodation for 500 sitters on the ground floor. The contract has been secured by Messrs. Thomas S. Dixon and Co., and the architects are Messrs. Young and Mackenzie, Belfast.” Published in The Irish Builder, October 15 1888.