1902 – International Exhibition, Cork
The 1902 Cork International Exhibition took place on 8 hectares of reclaimed marshland the Mardyke area of Cork, which is now Fitzgerald’s Park. Exhibitions included a Canadian pavilion, art gallery, machinery hall and industrial hall. Almost all the structures were designed by Cutler.
Its success surpassed all expectations, attracting visitors from all over Ireland, Europe and beyond. After it officially closed on 1 November 1902, it was decided to stage a similar exhibition in 1903. The 1903 exhibition repeated the success of its predecessor and was graced by a visit from Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.
The Cork International Exhibition of 1902 – 1903 finally closed on 31 October 1903. After the fair closed, the buildings were demolished and the grounds converted to a park. An original fountain was recently restored.