1780 – Ardress House, Co. Armagh
Originally a modest farmhouse which was transformed into a mansion around 1780 by Dublin architect George Ensor, whose wife’s family previously owned the property. Amongst its many features is the plasterwork in the drawing room by Michael Stapleton, dating back to Ensor’s renovations. The house is designed to impress – the main facade includes five dummy windows and a partly false front wall, which increased the apparent size of the house. It is run by the National Trust and contains excellent examples of 18th century furniture and a good display of paintings.