1829 – SS. Patrick & Colman’s Cathedral, Newry, Co. Down

Architect: Thomas Duff / G.C. Ashlin


Originally built between 1824-29 to designs by Newry native Thomas Duff. But with new additions to the exterior and a refurbishment to the interior in the 1880s, Ashlin made St. Patrick’s Cathedral very much his own work. According to The Irish Builder, “these consist principally of tower, transepts, sacristy, organ gallery, and porches; but in addition there are to be new altars, communion railing, confessionals, and new seating throughout.”


“The style of the work is Early Perpendicular Gothic, to correspond with the existing work, the material being Newry granite, with the tracery of some of the windows in Dungannon stone. The tower, which is 22ft. square and 112ft. high to the top of the pinnacles, has an openwork parapet, with crocketted pinnacles at the angles, the roof being a lead flat, and there are also balconies at the belfry floor level.|