1140 – Monaincha Church, Co. Tipperary


Irish builder and engineer

Sited on a hill surrounded by a drained lough and now a bog, the current nave-and-chancel church was built by the Augustinians in 1140. The entrance to the nave is through a decorated Romanesque doorway with chevron designs and scrollwork and roll-mouldings with decorated capitals. There is a small sacristy to the north of the chancel which was added in the 15th century. Outside the church stands a reconstructed 12th century High Cross. The Augustinians left the site in 1485 and the church became ruinous