1878 – Houses, College Gardens, Belfast
“This terrace has just been completed, and occupies a very fine position on a private avenue in front of the Wesleyan College. The houses are of a superior class. The treatment is uncommon for town houses, the fronts being well broken up by bay and square windows, the latter having their roofs running back on main roof, and finished at top by bold wrought-iron cresting.
The exterior is faced with best perforated red brick, having blue ones introduced in bands and arches. The stone used is from the Scrabo quarries ; the hood mouldings of doors have carved bosses, and the columns at sides of entrance doors are of Bessbrook polished granite, having moulded bases and richly-carved caps of stone. The sashes are filled with plate glass. From their superior arrangement, accommodation, and finishing, these houses are already commanding high rents. They were erected by Messrs. H.and J. Martin, contractors, in their usual satisfactory manner, according to the plans, designs, and under the superintendence of the architect, Mr. William Batt, jun., of Donegall place, Belfast.” The Irish Builder, June 15 1878.