1885 – Crown Chambers, 58-66 Royal Avenue, Belfast
Listed in 1989 although later demolished in 1994. “THE new premises, known as Crown Chambers, Belfast, have just been completed. The frontage is 60 ft., and the length from front to rere is 150 ft. The front is relieved by polished granite, supplied by the Newry Granite Works, and the exterior is ornamented by two rows of English terra-cotta. The ground floor comprises three shops and large hall, 7 ft. wide. The ceilings are of polished pitch pine, and panelled. The shops are 40 ft. deep. The first flat contains one office, 40 ft. by 21 ft., besides four smaller ones, all well lighted and ventilated. The second, third, and fourth flats contain each six large offices. On the top storey are apartments for the keeper of the chambers, besides five apartments suitable for workrooms. The hall below is sheeted with polished pitch pine; also, the staircase and first three storeys. The staircase is of solid, polished mahogany, as is also the first landing. All the landings measure 20 ft. by 7 ft., and are sheeted with polished pitch pine. There is a solid mahogany-moulded rail, with pitch pine balusters, to the top of building, which is over 60 ft. high, The new offices of the Ulster Echo are contained in the block. The architect was Mr. Wm. Eaton, Botanic avenue. The piling was done by Messrs. H. and J. Martin, and the building contract was executed by Mr. Thomas Price, Rainey-street. The owner of the premises is Mr. James Johnston, Wellington-park.