1893 – Hospital for Infectious Diseases, North Brunswick St., Dublin
Constructed incase of a public health emergency. It later became known as the Auxiliary Hospital and for many years was used for ear, nose and throat surgery, a function it continued to serve up until the Hardwicke Hospital’s closure.
“This building has been erected in the grounds of the Hardwicke Hospital, but is in itself a complete hospital establishment ensuring perfect isolation. It is intended for use in case of any sudden epidemic, such as cholera or small-pox. Accommodation is provided for male and female patients, a staff of nurses, and the necessary ward-maids and servants. The building is two storeys in height, with a separate pavilion for patients, divided from the nurses’ wing by the staircase and corridors. On the ground floor of the pavilion there is a ward for male patients, with windows on each side, and also at the south end. These windows are arranged to come between the beds, the lower portions of them have sashes hung in the ordinary way, and the upper have fanlights opening in, so as to give thorough cross-ventilation.
The floor of the ward is of pitch pine, oiled and waxed to allow of cleansing by dry rubbing. At the further end of this ward is the sanitary block, separated from it by a lobby and passage, from which open the baths, water-closets, and sculleries. These are fitted up with the most approved modern appliances, and have thorough cross ventilation. On the upper floor of the pavilion is the ward for female patients, with sanitary arrangements in connection with it similar to those on the ground floor.
In addition to the window cross ventilation in the wards, fresh air inlet tubes are provided and also outlet tubes for foul air connected with large vertical shafts in the roof with extraction cowls. This system makes the ventilation in a large measure independent of the windows, except for special purposes. The accommodation in the separate but adjoining wing comprises wards for day and night nurses and ward maids, with kitchen, scullery, larder, and store-rooms. There are also separate sanitary arrangements for this wing. The drainage of the whole building has been completely re-arranged on the most approved system, with proper inspection openings and ventilation pipes, manholes, and disconnecting traps at the junctions with the public sewers. The improvements and additions are from the designs of Messrs. Rawson Carroll and Batchelor” Published in The Irish Builder, August 1 1893.