Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

26 January 2016

1908 – Carnegie Library & Museum, Pery Sq., Limerick

Architect: G.P. Sheridan Library funded by donation from Andrew Carnegie, and constructed after an architectural competition. Sheridan’s design was actually placed second by the assessor G.C. Ashlin. The foundation stone was laid by...

22 January 2016

1891 – Furlong’s Mills, Kennedy Quay, Cork

Architect: James F. McMullen Also known as Marina Mills, demolished circa 1986, the ground floor walls have been kept as a site wall. Described in The Irish Builder, December 15 1890: “The bricks...

22 January 2016

1875 – Lighthouse and Keepers Dwellings, Galley Head, Co. Cork

Architect: John S. Sloane Galley Head Lighthouse is one of 70 lighthouses operated by the Commissioners of Irish Lights around the coast of Ireland. The station was designed by Mr J. S. Sloane,...

21 January 2016

1891 – Railway Bridge, Westland Row, Dublin

When under construction the tracks on platforms 1 and 2 in the station had to be inclined to make the bridge. Originally Westland Row Station was a terminus but was altered to be...

19 January 2016

1863 – Railway Station, Whiteabbey, Co. Antrim

Architect: Whiteabbey was the first major stop outside Belfast with the main station building on the up line constructed around 1863 with a canopy added fifty years later. The down line, to Portrush...

15 January 2016

1900 – Post Office, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Robert Cochrane Cochrane designed many small to medium sized post offices around Ireland. Demolished and replaced in the early 1970s.

14 January 2016

1879 – No.5-19 Church Lane, Belfast

Architect: William Batt Now demolished, but originally built in two stages to the one design due to land lease issues. Constructed for Gregg’s, the Ironmongers. Gregg as developer ” in a most praiseworthy...

14 January 2016

1886 – Methodist Church & School, Agnes St., Belfast

Architect: J.J. Phillips Church described as being ‘in classic style’ and built on site of former church of 1848 and adjoining school building. Schools completed June 1886 with the church with seating for...

13 January 2016

1906 – Curate’s House, Killodiernan, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Moynan & Gill Small residence for the curate of a rural parish in Co. Tipperary.