Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Alberta

06 August 2012

1912 – Law Courts, Edmonton, Alberta

Architect: Allan Merrick Jeffers Early design work was completed by unknown Department of Public Works architects while final details were overseen by Allan Merrick Jeffers, the provincial government architect. Described in The Edmonton...

01 August 2012

1912 – Beveridge-Travis Block, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Hodgson, Bates & Butler Demolished in 1987 following a December 1986 fire which also destroyed the Commercial Block adjacent. At the time of its construction a local newspaper reported, “It is fully...

01 August 2012

1912 – Lougheed Building, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: L.R. Wardrop For many years this building also contained the Grand Theatre – which had a seating capacity of 1,500 and one of the largest stages in the country. It had an...

01 August 2011

1912 – Memorial Park Library, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: McLean & Wright Philanthropist Andrew Carnegie funded $80,000 of the $100,000 cost of Calgary’s Central Library, which was the first purpose-built public library in Alberta. It was designed by Boston architects McLean...

07 August 2011

1912 – The Herald Building, Calgary, Alberta

Also known as the Southam building, it housed the Calgary Herald from 1913-1932. During the 1960s the exterior was ‘modernised’ removing much of the exterior decoration. Demolished 1972.

25 June 2010

1913 – Alberta Legislature Building, Edmonton, Alberta

Architect: Jeffers & Blakey The Alberta Legislature Building was built between 1907 and 1913 in the Beaux Arts style popular in Canada at this time for legislature buildings. The much larger Saskatchewan and...

07 July 2012

1913 – Burns Building, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: William S. Bates Constructed between 1912 and 1913, the Burns Building embodies the Chicago style of architecture in its reinforced concrete framing, grid-like fenestration pattern, terra cotta decorative elements, and prominent upper...

07 July 2012

1913 – Government House, Edmonton, Alberta

Architect: R.P. Blakey The three storey sandstone edifice was designed in the Jacobean Revival style which is characterized by bay windows, high gabled roofs with raised ends, and groups of rectangular windows. The...

01 August 2012

1913 – Hudson’s Bay Company, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Burke Horwood & White Magnificent Edwardian department store of six storeys with the facade organized into three divisions. The base features display windows behind an arched colonnade. The middle division, the second...

01 June 2012

1913 – Post Office, Lethbridge, Alberta

Architect: David Ewart The two principle facades of the original building, on 4th Avenue and 7th Street are joined by the imposing corner clock tower. The two facades though of different lengths are...