Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Manitoba

21 April 2010

1899 – Merrick-Anderson Building, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James J. McDiarmid With the adjoining Bain Building, this brick and limestone building is a fine early Winnipeg warehouse. Merrick, and Anderson were originally travellers for Dennis Moore of Hamilton. With the...

21 April 2010

1899 – No. 189 Bannatyne (McClary Building), Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: S. Frank Peters Like other warehouses on Bannatyne Avenue, the McClary Building benefited from a railway spur to the rear in what is now John Hirsch Place. Much like other Peters designs,...

21 April 2010

1900 – Gault Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Browne A fine large brick faced warehouse that was originally built as a four storey over basement building. It was applauded as one of the most commodious warehouses in the City....

21 April 2010

1900 – Marshall Wells Building, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James J. McDiarmid A post and beam frame structure with brick and stone external detailing, this small warehouse features exposed woodbeams and brickwork internally. All four floors have windows on three sides...

18 December 2009

1901 – Brandon College, Brandon, Manitoba

Architect: Hugh McCowan The original Brandon College building was completed in 1901. It was designed by Winnipeg architect Hugh McCowan (1841-1908). Although resembling other educational structures being constructed in Winnipeg during this period,...

04 July 2012

1901 – Former YMCA, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Creeford Browne Former YMCA building that was later heavily remodeled to become the Birks Building. Used as a branch of the YMCA from 1901 until 1913 when their new downtown building...

13 August 2009

1901 – J.B. Somerset School, Winnipeg

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Another fine school design by J.B. Mitchell, who must surely be one of the most demolished Winnipeg architects. An impressive building of three storeys in brick brick with an entry...

13 August 2012

1901 – Royal Archway, Winnipeg

Royal arch for visit of Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York (later, King George V and Queen Mary). Winnipeg, Canada

14 August 2011

1901 – Salvation Army Citadel, Rupert St., Winnipeg

Architect: J. Wilson Gray Containing a large hall seating 900, a smaller hall for 250 people, a band room, offices, and officer’s quarters, it was designed not to be as intimidating as the...

17 December 2009

1902 – Former Railway Station, Neepawa, Manitoba

Architect: R.B. Pratt The former Neepawa Station, was designed in 1902 by R. B. Pratt, a prominent Winnipeg architect. The most distinctive aspect of Pratt’s design is the pyramidal roofline with prominent gabled...