Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Winnipeg

07 May 2010

1955 – Great West Life Assurance, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Moody & Moore and Marani & Morris Designed as a corporate headquarters for Great West Life Assurance after they outgrew their Lombard Street premises, the large office building was designed by a...

08 July 2010

1957 – 385 St Mary, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Waisman Ross Interesting two storey office building in a Miesian idiom. The end wall of the building which encloses the set back entrance is built in perforated blocks creating texture and allowing...

20 January 2014

1958 – Chapel, St. John’s College, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg

Architect: Moody & Moore One of the founding colleges of the University of Manitoba, St. John’s was originally based downtown, and has an Anglican ethos. Their new college consisting of teaching facilities, dormitories...

29 June 2010

1958 – Former B’nay Abraham Synagogue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Kanarski Bnay Abraham Synagogue started in 1916 as a free loan and sick benefit society with a medical plan and death benefits for its members. In 1958, the present building at 235...

22 April 2010

1958 – Former Canada Post Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Green, Blankstein, Russell Associates Horrendous building with little or no human scale or charm. What is most upsetting about this building which occupies an entire block is that the previous Post Office...

14 April 2010

1958 – St George’s Anglican Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Green, Blankstein, Russell Associates Built between 1956-58 to to replace an earlier church of 1927, this modern building is constructed of the local Tyndall stone and brick. To the left of the...

11 January 2014

1958 – St. Paul’s College, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg

Architect: Gardiner, Gath & Associates / Green Blankstein Russell Associates St. Paul’s College was a Jesuit college, founded in 1926 by Jesuits and originally based in central Winnipeg. Designed by Vancouver practice Gardiner,...

30 July 2012

1959 – Executive House, Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg

Architect: Libling Michener & Associates Designed as n upmarket apartment block, Executive House was highly thought of at the time of completion and won a Massey Silver Medal for Architecture. The Massey Medals...

22 April 2010

1959 – Hydro Sub-Station No. 21, Edmonton Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Libling Michener & Associates Striking utility building from a time when public utilities still put an effort into their buildings. Winnipeg’s industrial parks have many such buildings with the concrete structure expressed...