Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Winnipeg

01 July 2010

1883 – Police Court, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber The police courts and station at the corner of King and James, served until 1903 when it was replaced by a new central police station. Demolished 1988. Modern reproduction...

13 August 2010

1883 – Princess Opera House, Winnipeg

The three-storied Princess Opera House opened on May 14,1883. It featured many fine dramatic presentations including Shakespeare’s plays. The Princess burned down in 1892.

04 July 2012

1883 – St. John’s College, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber Anglican college founded in 1850, and re-established in 1866. Later affiliated with the University of Manitoba. In 1877 St John’s College, St Boniface College (Roman Catholic) and the Manitoba...

08 July 2010

1883 – Vaughan Street Jail, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Walter Chesterton & Samuel Hooper Built in 1881, this building was the provincial jail receiving criminals from Manitoba, Northwest Territories and Ontario. Men, women and children were housed here in the late...

22 April 2010

1884 – Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler The third church on this site, the present church was commenced in 1883 and completed in 1884. The architect, Charles H. Wheeler, also designed Dalnavert, the Winnipeg home of...

13 August 2009

1884 – Knox Presbyterian Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Balston C. Kenway Built in the boom years of the early 1880s, the cost of this new church, with the site, was $60,000; it was opened for services on 17 August 1884....

21 April 2010

1884 – Telegram Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: William Hodgson This building was constructed for R.J. Whitla & Co., dry goods wholesaler and internally features pre-fabricated cast iron columns. Whitla & Co. constructed a larger warehouse on McDermot Avenue in...

04 July 2010

1886 – City Hall, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber A complete Victorian fantasy of a city hall, this the second City Hall for Winnipeg was mired in controversy for its entire lifetime. Disputes over the location, materials used...

09 October 2014

1886 – Post Office, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Constructed as the Winnipeg Post Office and Customs Office, it was only used as such until 1908, when a new post office building was constructed on Portage Avenue. Used as federal offices until...

10 November 2012

1886 – Volunteer Monument, Main Street, Winnipeg

Architect: Samuel Hooper Originally constructed on the grounds of the second Winnipeg City Hall in 1886 and moved to its present site beside the Manitoba Museum and the Centennial Concert Hall in the...