Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Winnipeg

14 July 2012

1902 – Merchants Bank, Main Street, Winnipeg

Architect: Taylor & Gordon Winnipeg’s first steel framed building at seven storeys high. Merchants Bank of Canada was taken over by the Bank of Montreal in the early 1920s. Demolished to make way...

03 July 2012

1902 – Strathcona Block, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Creeford Browne The Strathcona block was built for Lord Strathcona as an elite residential building on the corner of Main Street and Broadway in 1902. It later became Fort Garry Court,...

27 April 2010

1902 – Thomas Scott Memorial Orange Hall, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James J. McDiarmid In 1901, a Grand Lodge of Canada Report stated that “This Grand Lodge is erecting a memorial hall in the city of Winnipeg in memory of the late Brother...

21 July 2012

1903 – Alexandra School, Edmonton Street, Winnipeg

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Designed by local architect J.B. Mitchell who was responsible for many of the best school designs in Winnipeg. Originally a two-storey building, the third floor was added when enrolment justified...

27 April 2010

1903 – Bole Drug Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John H.G. Russell Another fine warehouse by John H.G. Russell, the Bole Drug Building was designed specificially for pharmaceutical production. The various departments, each supervised by qualified chemists, were efficiently organized for...

31 July 2012

1903 – Carlton School, Graham Avenue, Winnipeg

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Built to replace the earlier South Central Schools designed by Barber & Barber. Only used for twentyseven years before it was bought by Eatons, demolished for expansion of a parking...

27 April 2010

1903 – Criterion Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: H.S. Griffiths Built at a cost of $20,000 and designed by H.S. Griffiths a British architect, the Criterion was one of many hotels established in the area to accommodate the thousands of...

21 April 2010

1903 – Land Titles Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Samuel Hooper A small free-standing office building on a domestic scale alongside the Law Courts buildings on Broadway.

22 April 2010

1903 – Newmac Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Taylor & Gordon The Bank of British North America at 436 Main Street is the only neo-Palladian banking hall remaining in Winnipeg, and is probably the oldest structure of its type on...

21 July 2012

1903 – St. Mary’s Academy, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Samuel Hooper The third location of the school, as it moved to its present location in 1903. At that time, the school sat out on the prairie in an undeveloped area. However,...