Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Winnipeg

21 April 2010

1904 – Codville and Company, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Amalgamated into the Ashdown Building in 1911, the former Codville and Company warehouse had two floors added to it so that it formed a continuous wall with the rest of the Ashdown Building....

28 April 2010

1904 – Eaton’s Department Store, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: John Woodman For years the focal point of downtown Winnipeg, the former Eatons Department Store has been demolished to make way for a much criticised entertainment complex. Fortunately the linked Eaton Place...

29 June 2010

1904 – Firehall No.5, Sherbrook St., Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Alexander & William Melville In 1903 the firm of A. and W. Melville, architects and civil engineers, began operation. This company was responsible for numerous buildings in and around the city. An...

30 September 2009

1904 – Post Office, Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling, Pearson & Over Built to replace an earlier post office building near Pacific Station, which was demolished. This fine post office was also demolished and replaced with a terrible building including...

22 April 2010

1904 – Union Tower, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling & Pearson The oldest Chicago School skyscraper still standing in Western Canada was built for the Union Bank of Canada and once boasted the tallest flagpole in the British Empire. The...

29 June 2010

1905 – 136 Market Avenue, Marshall-Wells Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Hooper & Walker From the 1890s Marshall-Wells (a US based firm) advanced in the Canadian market by having a one man representative in Winnipeg and, then, by the construction of a warehouse...

08 July 2010

1905 – Aldous Block, Donald St., Winnipeg, Manitoba

Part of a terrace of three warehouses, all designed separately but to a harmonious whole. The top two floors were added in 1909.

08 July 2010

1905 – Bell Block 370 Donald Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Part of a terrace of three warehouses, all designed separately but to a harmonious whole. The top two floors were added in 1909.

27 April 2010

1905 – Carnefac Block, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John H.G. Russell Small warehouse building until recently in use as a French Bistro. The interior features a wooden post and beam construction and exposed brickwork.

04 July 2012

1905 – Empire Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Alexander & William Melville Originally conceived as the Cauchon Block, and then converted into an upmarket hotel in 1905 by architects Alexander & William Melville for the railway traveller. Ultimately the Empire...