Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Canada

16 December 2009

1824 – Conservatoire d’art dramatique, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: George Blaiklock Based on plans by George Blaiklock, the first Neo-classical architect in Quebec, the Conservatoire d’art dramatique was originally built as Trinity Chapel-of-ease. Paid for by the Chief Justice Jonathan Sewell...

30 June 2010

1828 – Wolfe and Montcalm Obelisk, Quebec

Architect: John Phillips The Wolfe-Montcalm Monument is an obelisk more than 20 m in height. It was unveiled in 1828 in memory of the generals on both sides who died during the famous...

11 December 2009

1829 – Marche Bonsecours, Montreal, Quebec

Architect: William Footner / George Browne The Bonsecours Market’s construction began in 1844, with the Public Market being inaugurated in January 1847. The refurbishment of the market’s interior, under the direction of architect...

22 January 2014

1829 – Old Courthouse, London, Ontario

Architect: John Ewart Constructed as Middlesex County Court House with castle-like features and Gothic details. It was designed by architect John Ewart and was constructed in 1827-29. The Middlesex County Court House was...

16 December 2009

1832 – Former St. Patrick’s Church, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: Thomas Baillargé A church built by the Irish population and the only English speaking catholic parish in Quebec. In 1831, a lot was purchased on Sainte-Hélène street, in Upper Town, inside the...

22 April 2010

1835 – Upper Fort Garry Gate, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Upper Fort Garry was the last of five forts, known to have been built in this general vicinity. The other forts included: Fort Rouge (circa 1736), Fort Gibraltar (circa 1806), Fort Douglas (circa...

11 December 2009

1836 – Custom House, Montreal, Quebec

Architect: John Ostell The old Custom House (now part of Pointe-a-Callière, the Montréal Museum of Archaeology and History) was built in 1836, to keep pace with the expanding port. Goods could pass through...

10 December 2009

1838 – Rideau Hall, Ottawa, Ontario

The residence was built in 1838 to house Scottish stone mason Thomas McKay and his family, who occupied the residence until 1855. Queen Victoria chose Ottawa in 1858 as the new capital of...

11 December 2009

1844 – Osgoode Hall, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: John Ewart / Henry Bower Lane / Frederick Cumberland & William G. Storm The original two and a half storey building was started in 1829 and finished in 1832 from a design...

11 December 2009

1844 – St. James’ Cathedral, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: Frederick Cumberland The Cathedral Church of St. James in Toronto is the oldest congregation in the city. Established in 1797, the current structure was completed in 1844 and was one of the...