Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Canada

11 December 2009

1845 – Former Commercial Bank of Midland, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: William Thomas Dismantled, moved from its original site, and reassembled to front a modern office building placed in the weird surroundings of Santiago Calatrava’s Galleria at BCE Place. The former Commercial Bank...

01 October 2009

1846 – St. Paul’s Cathedral, London, Ontario

Architect: William Thomas The seat of the Diocese of Huron of the Anglican Church of Canada, it was designed in the Gothic revival style by William Thomas and built between 1844 and 1846,...

16 December 2009

1847 – Archbishop’s Residence, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: Thomas Baillargé The construction of the Archbishop’s residence began in 1844 and was completed in 1847. It was built following the plans of architect Thomas Baillargé. In 1903, François-Xavier Berlinguet was put...

11 December 2009

1847 – Holy Trinity Church, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: Henry Bower Lane The Church of the Holy Trinity opened in 1847 following the gift of an anonymous donor (later revealed as Mary Lambert Swale of Settle, England). Mrs. Swale had stipulated...

17 December 2009

1849 – St. Andrew’s Anglican Church, Manitoba

Architect: William Cockran Between 1845 and 1849 construction proceeded on a new stone church to serve the burgeoning Parish of St. Andrew’s. The building was designed by Archdeacon William Cockran (1798-1865) to serve...

16 December 2009

1850 – Institute Canadian, Quebec City, Quebec

Built as a Wesleyan Church in 1849-50. In the twentieth century, Congregationalist, Methodist and Presbyterian churches throughout the country merged in 1925 to form The United Church of Canada. In Quebec City, Chalmers...

16 December 2009

1850 – Soeurs de la Charité de Québec Chapel, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: Charles Baillairgé In 1850, the SÅ“urs de la Charité de Québec community asked Charles Baillairgé to carry out the architectural plans of a chapel. Though the chapel has been ravaged by fire...

11 December 2009

1850 – St Lawrence Hall, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: William Thomas St. Lawrence Hall is a meeting hall in Toronto, Canada next to the St. Lawrence Market. It was built, alongside the new city hall, in 1850 after a fire destroyed...

15 April 2010

1851 – Grey Nuns Convent, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: L’Abbé Louis François Laflèche The old convent of the Grey Nuns, which today houses the St. Boniface Museum, was built between 1846 and 1851, and was constructed of white oak logs. The...

16 December 2009

1852 – Chalmers-Wesley United Church, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: John Wells This church, inaugurated in 1853, carries the name of Chalmers in honor of Reverend Thomas Chalmers, a former Scottish pastor and former head of the Free Church movement in Scotland....