Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Canada

15 April 2010

1852 – Ross House, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Ross House had its beginnings in 1852 when construction commenced on William Ross’s log home. Ross was appointed Post Master in 1855 by the Council of Assiniboia and he operated the post office...

11 December 2009

1853 – 10 Toronto Street, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: Frederick Cumberland In the mid 19th century with Toronto growing rapidly a new more modern post office was needed as the 6th Post Office (1845-1852) on Wellington just west of Leader Lane...

24 January 2012

1853 – Central School, Hamilton, Ontario

Central Public School was opened in 1853 to accommodate 1,000 students in the largest graded school in Upper Canada. Central was the first public school in Hamilton. It incorporated a scheme of an...

30 June 2010

1855 – Camille-Roy Building, Seminaire de Quebec

Architect: Charles Baillargé The historical site of the Séminaire de Québec in Old Quebec includes a vast number of buildings, some of which date back to the 17th century and are witnesses of...

14 April 2010

1855 – Old St. James Anglican Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

In 1850, Reverend W.H. Taylor was instructed by the Bishop of Rupert’s Land, The Right Reverend David Anderson, to establish a church for the settlement expanding westward along the banks of the Assiniboine...

16 December 2009

1855 – Presbytery of St. Patrick’s Church, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: Goodlate Richardson Browne

17 December 2009

1855 – St. Andrew’s Rectory, St. Andrews, Manitoba

Built as the home of Archdeacon William Cockran, who designed the adjacent church, between 1853 and 1855, St. Andrew’s Rectory is an excellent example of mid-19th century Red River architecture. It is a...

17 December 2009

1857 – St. Clement’s Anglican Church, Manitoba

The official church for employees of the Hudson’s Bay Company who were stationed at the nearby Lower Fort Garry, St Clements was started in 1857 but the short bell tower was not completed...

07 July 2015

1858 – Design for St. Paul’s Church, Yorkville, Toronto

Architect: G.K. & E. Radford Successful entrant in architectural competition to design a new Anglican church. Designed by brothers Edward and George Kent Radford, construction began in 1858 on what was described by...

11 December 2009

1859 – Christ Church Anglican Cathedral, Montreal, Quebec

Architect: Frank W. Wills The present Cathedral was completed in 1859, after fire destroyed the previous church on this site. It is a neo-Gothic building, designed by British architect Frank Wills. The spire...