Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Canada

14 April 2010

1950 – Brock-Corydon School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Built to a standardised design used by the city, and not far from a similar design at Rockwood School. The building has a central entrance-way with further entrances to the ends of the...

08 July 2010

1950s – 280 Smith Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Moody & Moore Constructed as the Western Savings and Loan in 1950, and later extended in 1957 with the addition of extra floors. The interior is unremarkable save for a double-height ground...

17 December 2009

1950s – Poplar Park Community Hall, Manitoba

A large community hall which although not architect designed does have a certain style and grace.

01 July 2010

1952 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Cook’s Creek, Manitoba

Architect: Fr. Philip Ruh The Church of the Immaculate Conception or as it is popularly known, the Cathedral of the Prairies is a Ukrainian Catholic Church built in the middle of the Manitoban...

14 August 2011

1953 – Northern Sales Building, 135 Lombard Avenue, Winnipeg

Architect: Waisman Ross Considered one of the finest examples of modernist architecture in the city, this brick-and-glass structure incorporates some of the same design elements used in the Barcelona Pavilion. The modernist design...

01 July 2010

1954 – Grotto of our Lady of Lourdes, Cook’s Creek, Manitoba

Architects: Fr. Philip Ruh Begun in 1954 by Father Philip Ruh, the Grotto is both a religious centre in its own right, and a tourist attraction during the summer months. Ruh saw it...

07 May 2010

1955 – Great West Life Assurance, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Moody & Moore and Marani & Morris Designed as a corporate headquarters for Great West Life Assurance after they outgrew their Lombard Street premises, the large office building was designed by a...

10 December 2009

1957 – 170 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario

Architects: WZMH Architects / Oslen Worland A 1950’s-era, 12-storey office building that was demolished back to its original structure for upgrading. A new fa├žade, as well as completely new mechanical, electrical and elevator...

08 July 2010

1957 – 385 St Mary, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Waisman Ross Interesting two storey office building in a Miesian idiom. The end wall of the building which encloses the set back entrance is built in perforated blocks creating texture and allowing...


Skip to toolbar