Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Canada

29 June 2010

1958 – Former B’nay Abraham Synagogue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Kanarski Bnay Abraham Synagogue started in 1916 as a free loan and sick benefit society with a medical plan and death benefits for its members. In 1958, the present building at 235...

22 April 2010

1958 – Former Canada Post Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Green, Blankstein, Russell Associates Horrendous building with little or no human scale or charm. What is most upsetting about this building which occupies an entire block is that the previous Post Office...

16 July 2011

1958 – Le Reine Élizabeth Hotel, Montreal, Quebec

Architect: George Drummond Completed in 1958, it was built by the Canadian National Railway, but was later sold to Canadian Pacific Hotels, now Fairmont Hotels and Resorts. With 1039 rooms and 21 floors...

14 April 2010

1958 – St George’s Anglican Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Green, Blankstein, Russell Associates Built between 1956-58 to to replace an earlier church of 1927, this modern building is constructed of the local Tyndall stone and brick. To the left of the...

11 January 2014

1958 – St. Paul’s College, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg

Architect: Gardiner, Gath & Associates / Green Blankstein Russell Associates St. Paul’s College was a Jesuit college, founded in 1926 by Jesuits and originally based in central Winnipeg. Designed by Vancouver practice Gardiner,...

30 July 2012

1959 – Executive House, Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg

Architect: Libling Michener & Associates Designed as n upmarket apartment block, Executive House was highly thought of at the time of completion and won a Massey Silver Medal for Architecture. The Massey Medals...

22 April 2010

1959 – Hydro Sub-Station No. 21, Edmonton Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Libling Michener & Associates Striking utility building from a time when public utilities still put an effort into their buildings. Winnipeg’s industrial parks have many such buildings with the concrete structure expressed...

01 January 2014

1959 – John A. Russell Building, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg

Architect: Smith Carter Katelnikoff Named after John A. Russell who taught at the University for 38 years and was named the first Dean of the Faculty of Architecture in 1964. Dean Russell died...

23 April 2010

1959 – Norquay Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Green, Blankstein, Russell Associates An elegant piece of late 60’s modernism, the Norquay building has an understated architectural quality. The compsoitions, scale, materials all contribute to a quality design that can easily...