Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of East England

29 June 2009

1879 – Plaw Hatch, Hertfordshire

Architect: Joseph Fogerty Now known as Pearse House, it hasn’t been used as a residence for many years – being used as a hospital annex in the Second World War, an officers’ mess...

01 October 2009

1879 – Rawdon House, Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire

Architect: Ernest George & Peto Perspective view published in The Building News, July 2nd 1880. Rawdon House was originally built in 1622 by Marmaduke Rawdon, and extended in 1879. The Jacobean and Victorian...

03 October 2012

1879 – Round & Green’s Bank, Colchester, Essex

Architect: Ernest C. Lee A small independent banking house, in operation since the 1820s. In 1891, it (as Round, Green, Hoare, & Co.) merged with Gurney’s of Norwish, and was inturn taken over...

22 June 2009

1879 – The New Divinity Schools, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

Architect: Basil Champneys Perspective of revised scheme including ground,mezzanine & 1st floor plans published in The Building News, May 9th 1879. Champneys was selected in 1876 after an architectural competition. Finished in brick...

05 October 2009

1879 – Three Lodges, Easton Park, Suffolk

Architect: T.E. Collcutt The former estate village of Easton, was based around Easton Hall, seat of the Dukes of Hamilton. The stately home as demolished in the early part of the twentieth century.

12 June 2009

1880 – St. Francis Home, Shefford, Bedfordshire, England

Architect: S.J. Nicholl Between 1868 and 1974 Shefford was the site of St Francis’ Boy’s Home (an orphanage) that was situated upon the High Street next to the Roman Catholic Church of St...

27 September 2009

1880 – Almshouses, Springfield, Essex

Architect: Joseph Clarke “These alms-houses have been erected by two ladies as a memorial, from the designs of Mr. Joseph Clarke, F.S.A. They are built of red brick, flint walls, and timbered gables,...

24 August 2009

1880 – Boxmoor Schools, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Architect: John Ladds “The Boxmoor Schools, built at Two AVaters, for the Hemel Hempsted School-Boaid, are situated on a narrow-fronted site of steeply- sloping ground facing the open common, about half a mile...

12 August 2009

1880 – Choir School, Kings College, Cambridge

Architect: W.M. Fawcett “The choir school for King’s College, Cambridge, has been built to accommodate sixteen boys, whom the college has undertaken the entire charge of. The building contains schoolroom, with lavatory, &c.,...