Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of East England

24 October 2012

1881 – Curator’s Cottage, Botanic Gardens, Cambridge

Architect: W.M. Fawcett “The house which we illustrate to-day was built by the Botanic Garden Syndicate, at Cambridge, from the design of Mr. W M. Fawcett, M.A. It is a small house with...

26 June 2009

1881 – Homestead, Akenham, Ipswich, Suffolk

Architect: Alfred Conder “The buildings shown upon the bird’s-eye view are being erected for Mr. James Clarke, at Akenham Hall Farm, upon a new site, to supersede some scattered farm-buildings which by age...

22 June 2009

1881 – North Hall, Newnham, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

Architect: Basil Champneys “North Hall is the second portion of Newnham College, which has been built, the former part having been opened in 1877. The present building accommodates about 38 students, and is...

18 January 2011

1881 – St. Nicholas’ Church, Wells, Norfolk

Architect: Herbert J. Green “This church was struck by lightning and burnt down on the 3rd of August, 1877. It was a fine specimen of the 15th-century architecture of the county. The beautiful...

26 June 2009

1882 – Ipswich Corn Exchange & Shops, Suffolk

Architect: Brightwen Binyon Front Perspective View including plan published in The Building News, November 21st 1879. Interior view including elevation to Little King Street was published in The Building News, March 5th. 1880....

22 April 2014

1882 – Patrick Stead Hospital, Halesworth, Suffolk

Architect: Henry Hall Patrick Stead came from Edinburgh to Halesworth in 1824 where he established a successful maltings business. After his death, he left a bequest of some £26,000 to establish a hospital...

14 April 2012

1883 – St. Thomas’s Church, Brentwood, Essex

Architect: Ernest C. Lee Published in The Building News, July 25th 1879. On 14th February 1881 the local MP, Octavius Coope laid the foundation-stone in the west wall of the present church. Two...

24 June 2009

1884 – Convalescent Home, Clacton on Sea, Essex

Architect: Fred Chancellor Essex Convalescent Home, in what became Coppins Road in Magdalen Green, Great Clacton, built to the designs of Fred Chancellor, opened in 1884. It was funded by private subscription as...

03 September 2009

1884 – Easton Lodge, Great Dunmow, Essex

Architect: William Young


Skip to toolbar