Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of East England

09 March 2013

1860 – Whewell’s Courts, Trinity College, Cambridge

Architect: Anthony Salvin Originally named Master’s Court and located across the street from Great Court, these two courts were entirely paid for by William Whewell, the then master of the college. The north...

23 May 2013

1860s – St. James Church, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Architect: John P. Seddon An early design for St. James Church in Great Yarmouth, which would have seen a three-gabled west end in the style of the parish church of St Nicholas on...

09 March 2013

1862 – Terrace, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Architect: J.T. Bottle From The Building News, July 19th 1862: “Mr. J.T. Bottle, architect. Great Yarmouth, ha been awarded the premium of £20 for his design for a terrace for first-class houses to...

24 June 2010

1863 – New Chapel, St. John’s College, Cambridge

Architect: George Gilbert Scott “The new building which is about to supersede the present chapel of St. John’s College, Cambridge, and of which our illustration presents the approved design, by Mr. G. G....

24 June 2010

1864 – Congregational Church, Barking, Essex

Architect: W.P. Poulton “The memorial stone of a new Congregational Church, wag laid on the 6th of last month, at Barking. Of this building we give an illustration. The geometrical character of Gothic...

10 December 2012

1866 – Cambridge Union Society Building, Cambridgeshire

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse The Bridge Street premises was designed by Alfred Waterhouse (who went on to design the Oxford Union Society’s building) and formally opened on 30 October 1866. An additional wing to...

14 March 2009

1867 – Assembly Rooms, Yarmouth, Norfolk

Architect: H.H. Collins Since 1919, it has been the Great Yarmouth Masonic Lodge.

08 March 2013

1867 – Ideas competition for villas, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Architect: J.S. Dodd From The Building News, July 5th 1867: “THE drawings which have been entered for this competition have been very properly exhibited to the public in the TownhaU at Great Yarmouth,...

03 March 2013

1868 – Cemetary Chapels, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire

Architect: Ladds & Hooker THE designs for these chapels are by Messrs. J. Ladds and J.M. Hooker, and were selected in open competition from about twenty other sets sent in. The chapels, lodge,...


Skip to toolbar