Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of East England

11 January 2012

1919 – Easton Lodge, Dunmow, Essex

Architect: Philip Tilden In 1847, almost the whole of the Elizabethan part of the mansion was destroyed by fire. Although uninsured, the property was rebuilt in Victorian Gothic style at a cost of...

05 June 2013

1919 – Entrance, Skefko Ball Bearing Works, Luton, Bedfordshire

Architect: Alfred Brumwell Thomas Now known as SKF, it was founded in Gothenburg, Sweden by Sven Wingqvist, inventor of the double row self-aligning ball bearing. Founded in Luton in 1911 with 150 employees....

15 June 2013

1919 – House at Digswell, Hertfordshire

Architect: Andrew Grey Published in The Building News, December 5 1919: “This small house with stable block stands on a gently sloping site of about two acres. The outbuildings comprise coach-house, stable, harness-room...

14 January 2012

1919 – Pennyfeather Memorial Buildings, Barnet, Hertfordshire

Architect: W. Charles Waymouth “This institution was erected a short time since. The exterior view now reproduced was exhibited at the Royal Academy last summer. The accommodation, a hall to seat 450 adults....

14 January 2012

1919 – Roadside Cottage, Hertfordshire

Architect: Andrew Gray “This cottage, built on a fairly large site. stands detached and well back from the highway. The first floor contains three bedrooms, bathroom, a boxroom and linen store. The external...

05 April 2013

1919 – Two Unit Concrete Cottages, Clockhouse Way, Braintree, Essex

Architect: Charles H. B. Quennell Published in The Building News, October 24 1919: “Two Unit Concrete Cottages, Braintree, Essex. Plan, elevation, and view. Messrs. Charles H. B. Quennell, F.R.I.B.A., and W.F. Crittal, Architects....

20 May 2012

1920 – Cottages and Village Shop, Kings Walden, Hertfordshire

Architect: Harry Stuart Goodhart-Rendel From The Building News, August 27 1920: “The illustration is of two of several pairs of cottages recently erected or in course of erection on the estate of Major...

01 May 2013

1920 – Design for a concrete church, Stanford-le-hope, Essex

Architect: John H. Beart Foss From The Building News, September 3 1920: “This Roman Catholic church consists of a wide nave and apsidal sanctuary, lit by a tall clerestory window above the flat...

23 May 2012

1920 – Village Hall, Hardingham, Norfolk

Architect: Baillie Scott Published in The Building News, December 10 1920: “This hall was formally opened on Wednesday List, and was the gift to the village of Mrs. Edwards and Captain B.M. Edwards,...

05 June 2011

1922 – Memorial Campanile and Cloister, Elveden Church, Suffolk

Architect: W.D. Caroe After Edward Cecil Guinness, first Earl Iveagh, took over the Elveden estate, he appointed William Caroe to build an entirely new village church beside the old. It would be of...