Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of London

02 July 2014

1865 – Crown Life Assurance, Fleet Street, London

Architect: Sir Thomas Newenham Deane Venetian Gothic office building that was constructed to replace, his deceased partner, Benjamin Woodward’s Blackfriars office. The Blackfriars building influenced the design of the Crown Life building on...

10 February 2011

1865 – Design for Royal Courts of Justice, London by Raphael Brandon

Architect: Raphael Brandon View from The Strand published in The Building News, May 15th 1867. Unsuccessful design for new Royal Courts of Justice.

21 August 2012

1865 – St. Martin’s Church, Vicar’s Road, London

Architect: E.B. Lamb Illustration published in The Builder in 1866. Still in use today, the church is a local landmark with its tall tower.

16 July 2009

1865 – St. Pauls Church, Bethnal Green, London

Architect: B. Bigginton Bombed during the Blitz of the Second World War, St. Paul’s parish was united to St. Matthew’sin 1951. The church was demolished.

04 September 2012

1865 – Union Bank of London, Chancery Lane, London

Architect: F.W. Porter By 1902 there were 24 branches in London and its suburbs. In 1917 231 branches were operating. The bank amalgamated with National Provincial Bank of England Ltd, bankers of London,...

31 March 2013

1865 – Union Bank of London, Princes St., London

Architect: Philip Charles Hardwick This joint stock bank was established at 8 Moorgate Street, City of London, in 1839 as Union Bank of London with a paid-up capital of £211,500. The head office...

24 August 2012

1866 – Cornhill Chambers, London

Architect: Edmund Woodthorpe Published in The Builder in 1866.

04 September 2012

1866 – Design for the City Meat & Poultry Markets, Smithfield, London

Architect: Knightley & Mew Placed design after an architectural competition to design a new markets for London. The buildings erected were designed by architect Sir Horace Jones, who was also responsible for Billingsgate...

16 July 2009

1866 – Kings College Hospital, London

Architect: Thomas Bellamy King’s was originally opened in 1840 in the disused St Clements Dane workhouse in Portugal Street close to Lincoln’s Inn Fields. It was used as a training facility where medical...