Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of London

26 March 2013

1868 – St. Pancras Station, London

Architect: William H. Barlow A Grade I listed building, itwas opened in 1868 by the Midland Railway as the southern terminus of its main line, which connected London with the East Midlands and...

15 March 2013

1868 – Warehouse, Southwark St., London

Architect: Ernest Bates, From The Building News: “WE this week give an illustration o£ a new warehouse, recently erected in Southwark-street, for Mr. R.J. Bates, of Little Knight Rider-street, Doctors’ Commons. It consists...

10 March 2010

1869 – Battersea Bridge, London

From The Architect and Contract Reporter, October 16 1869: The illustration in our number of to day gives a perspec tive view of three Railway Bridges or Viaducts which carry over the Mortlake...

24 October 2012

1869 – Church of St. Columba, Kingsland Road, London

Architect: James Brooks Built as a slum mission centre with a clergy house and school. The church has a pretty grim polychromic brick exterior – the adjoining structures being more attractive with their...

20 April 2012

1869 – Columbia Market & Dwellings, London

Architect: Henry Darbishire Columbia Market was established in 1869 as a covered food market, by the philanthropist Angela Burdett-Coutts for 400 stalls. However it was never a success as the traders preferred selling...

31 March 2013

1869 – Finsbury District Schools, London

Architect: Fred Peck The Finsbury School District, one of several such bodies set up to provide accommodation for pauper children away from the workhouse, briefly existed in 1868-9. It never got as far...

11 February 2011

1869 – Junior Carlton Club House, 30 Pall Mall, London

Architect: David Brandon The Junior Carlton Club was a London gentlemen’s club, now dissolved, which was established in 1866 and was disbanded in 1977. Anticipating the forthcoming Second Reform Act under Benjamin Disraeli,...

10 March 2010

1869 – Magdalen Hospital, Streatham, London

From The Architect and Contract Reporter, November 27 1869: The Magdalen Hospital is the oldest institution of its kind, was founded in 1758, and has hitherto been located, in the Blackfriars Road. For...

31 March 2013

1869 – Public Office & Vestry Hall, Stratford, London

Architect: John Giles & Lewis Angell Now known as Stratford Old Town Hall. The Grade II listed West Ham Town Hall was built in 1869. It was designed by Lewis Angell and John...