Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of London

07 July 2013

1920 – Gresham House, Old Broad St., London

Architect: W.T. Hanman Demolished when the area was cleared to make way for the NatWest Tower now Tower 42. Published in The Building News, August 6 1920: “The illustration shows the Broad Street...

30 April 2013

1920 – London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank, Brondesbury, London

Architect: E. Guy Dawber From The Building News, August 6 1920: “The drawing reproduced to-day is at the Royal Academy Exhibition, The building is being erected, The facades are in brick with Portland...

31 May 2013

1920 – Magnet House, Kingsway, London

Architect: R. Frank Atkinson Constructed for the General Electric Co., and extended over the years. Sold in later 1950s and demolished shortly after. Replaced by a building, also called Magnet House, by Richard...

16 July 2013

1920 – Monument Telephone Exchange, Tower St., London

Architect: Edward Cropper Still in use today, and externally largely as illustrated. From The Building News, September 17 1920: “Declarations were made for the erection of this building in 1914-15. but. owing to...

25 April 2013

1920 – Police and Fireman’s Housing, Tilbury, London

Architect: Sir Thomas Edwin Cooper Published in The Building News, July 30 1920: All these buildings have been designed for the Port of London Authority by Mr. Edwin Cooper, F.R.I.B.A., thearchitect of the...

25 July 2013

1920 – Storage Building, West India Docks, London

Architect: Sir Thomas Edwin Cooper Published in The Building News, July 30 1920: “Tho simple treatment of this utilitarian building is unmistakably appropriate. The elevations avoid needless elaboration, and are marked b.y arcliitec-tural...

25 April 2013

1920 – Tobacco Warehouse, Victoria Docks, London

Architect: Sir Thomas Edwin Cooper Published in The Building News, July 30 1920: “At present it is proposed to erect only parts of this building, but Mr. Cooper has contrived that the first...

25 July 2012

1920 – Warehouse-Keeper’s Offices, Royal Albert Docks, London

Architect: Sir Thomas Edwin Cooper Published in The Building News, July 30 1920: “The accommodation furnished by this range of buildings includes the officials and staff of the warehouse-keeper’s de- partment and its...

31 May 2013

1922 – Dickins & Jones, 224-244 Regent St., London

Architect: Henry Tanner In 1790, Dickins and Smith opened a shop at 54, Oxford Street, at the sign of the Golden Lion. In 1830 the shop was renamed “Dickins, Sons and Stevens”, and...

19 June 2012

1922 – Former Port of London Authority Building, 10 Trinity Square, London

Architect: Sir Thomas Edwin Cooper The Port of London Authority was established in the 1900s to oversee what were then the busiest and most important docks in the world. Its power and status...