Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Vanished London

16 July 2009

1860 – Holy Trinity Chapel, Knightsbridge, London

Architect: Raphael Brandon & Henry M. Eyton The new church, a building in the Early Decorated style with seating for 600, was designed in competition by Raphael Brandon and Henry M. Eyton. S.S....

21 December 2012

1860 – London Printing & Publishing Co., Smithfield, London

Architect: George Somers Clarke From The Building News: “THE Trustees of Cart’s charity have nearly completed, at the corner of Charterhouse-lane and St. John-street, Smithfield, the new premises leased by them to the...

21 December 2012

1860 – Metropolitan Board of Works, Spring Gardens, London

Architect: Frederick Marrable The Metropolitan Board of Works was the principal instrument of London-wide government from 1856 until the establishment of the London County Council in 1889. Its principal responsibility was to provide...

20 December 2012

1860 – Philharmonic Hall, Islington, London

Architect: Finch Hill & Edward L. Paraire William Finch Hill was a British theatre and music hall architect of the Victorian era. Between 1856–70, he worked with his partner Edward Lewis Paraire, on...

11 February 2011

1860 – St Dionis, Backchurch, London

Architect: George Edmund Street St Dionis Backchurch was a church dedicated to the patron saint of France in Langbourn Ward one of the 25 within the City of London, first mentioned in 1538...

11 December 2012

1860 – St. Thomas Church, Hemingford Rd., Islington, London

Architect: Arthur Billing Demolished 1947, presumedly as a result of war damage. According to The Building News, “The new church of St. Thomas, Hemmingford-terrace, Islington, has been completed, and was consecrated by the...

01 April 2012

1861 – London Bridge Railway Terminus Hotel, London

Architect: Henry Currey Railway hotel constructed for the London Brighton and South Coast Railway alongside their London Bridge Terminus. However, it was not successful, being on the south side of the river, and...

21 December 2012

1861 – Metropolitan Tabernacle, Elephant & Castle, London

Architect: William Wilmer Pocock A Baptist Tabernacle built by the renowned 19th century preacher Charles Haddon Spurgeon. The original building was burned down in 1898, leaving just the front portico and basement intact,...

01 March 2013

1861 – St. Stephen’s Church, Albert Square, Clapham Rd, London

Architect: John Barnett Albert Square is an outstanding example of one of London’s famous ‘garden squares’. Built on what was originally market garden land in the mid-19th century, it was completed between 1848...