Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Vanished London

30 October 2011

1863 – New Buildings in Paternoster Row, London

Paternoster Row was a street in the City of London which was devastated by aerial bombardment during the Blitz of World War II, suffering particularly heavy damage in the night raid of 29-30...

26 October 2012

1863 – St. Alban’s Church, Holborn, London

Architect: William Butterfield The church of S. Alban the Martyr, Holborn was built by a leading architect of the day, William Butterfield in 1863. Sadly it was destined to last for only 78...

22 March 2013

1865 – Church of St. Philip, Sydenham, London

Architect: Edwin Nash Demolished in the early 1980s to provide a new church and sheltered housing. From The Building News: “This church was erected in 1865 from the designs of Mr. Edwin Nash,...

02 July 2014

1865 – Crown Life Assurance, Fleet Street, London

Architect: Sir Thomas Newenham Deane Venetian Gothic office building that was constructed to replace, his deceased partner, Benjamin Woodward’s Blackfriars office. The Blackfriars building influenced the design of the Crown Life building on...

16 July 2009

1865 – St. Pauls Church, Bethnal Green, London

Architect: B. Bigginton Bombed during the Blitz of the Second World War, St. Paul’s parish was united to St. Matthew’sin 1951. The church was demolished.

31 March 2013

1865 – Union Bank of London, Princes St., London

Architect: Philip Charles Hardwick This joint stock bank was established at 8 Moorgate Street, City of London, in 1839 as Union Bank of London with a paid-up capital of £211,500. The head office...

04 September 2012

1867 – City Terminus Hotel, Cannon St., London

Architect: Edward Middleton Barry Cannon Street Station opened in 1866. In 1867 an Italianate style hotel and forecourt designed by E.M. Barry was added. This provided much of the station’s passenger facilities as...

23 March 2013

1867 – Palmerston Buildings, Old Broad St and Bishopsgate, London

Architect: F. & H. Francis Palmerston House was named after the Third Viscount Palmerston. It stood at 51-55 Broad Street. It was occupied for some time by the Cunard Steam Shipping Company. Demolished...

25 March 2013

1868 – Gaiety Theatre, The Strand, London

Architect: C.J. Phipps Deesigned by the theatre architect C.J. Phipps, who also designed the 1871 Gaiety Theatre in Dublin, this was a sumptuous rebuild of an existing theatre. Intended as a complete evening’s...

31 March 2012

1868 – New University Club, St. James, London

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse Former club premises, now demolished.