Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Vanished London

23 March 2013

1867 – Palmerston Buildings, Old Broad St and Bishopsgate, London

Architect: F. & H. Francis Palmerston House was named after the Third Viscount Palmerston. It stood at 51-55 Broad Street. It was occupied for some time by the Cunard Steam Shipping Company. Demolished...

25 March 2013

1868 – Gaiety Theatre, The Strand, London

Architect: C.J. Phipps Deesigned by the theatre architect C.J. Phipps, who also designed the 1871 Gaiety Theatre in Dublin, this was a sumptuous rebuild of an existing theatre. Intended as a complete evening’s...

31 March 2012

1868 – New University Club, St. James, London

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse Former club premises, now demolished.

20 April 2012

1869 – Columbia Market & Dwellings, London

Architect: Henry Darbishire Columbia Market was established in 1869 as a covered food market, by the philanthropist Angela Burdett-Coutts for 400 stalls. However it was never a success as the traders preferred selling...

09 August 2010

1870 – Christ Church, Clapton, London

Architect: James Brooks Destroyed in 1944 as a result of an air raid attack on London. Interior view published in The Building News, August 5th 1870. Described as: “The subject of our illustration...

28 November 2013

1871 – Central Telegraph Office, General Post Office, London

Architect: James Williams The headquarters for the General Post Office was built on the eastern side of St. Martin’s Le Grand in the City of London between 1825 and 1829 to designs by...

05 August 2009

1872 – Cottage Hospital, Harrow on the Hill, London

Architect: George & Vaughan Perspective view including ground & chamber plans, published in The Builder, November 2nd 1872. The Harrow Cottage Hospital was founded in 1866 by Dr. W. Hewlett. In 1868 a...

13 May 2013

1872 – No. 36 Piccadilly, London

Architect: George & Vaughan Published in The Building News, July 19 1872: “IN our review of the International Exhibition we noticed as follows the high character of design and draughtsmanship reached by Messrs....

10 August 2009

1872 – Thanet Street New Schools, St. Pancras, London

Architect: W. Milford Teulon & Cronk national school constructed in what was then a rn unfashionable and poor area. Now demolished.