Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Vanished London

16 July 2009

1875 – General Baptist Chapel, Westbourne Park, London

Architect: J. Wallis Chapman Now demolished – replaced by a modern circa 1950s church.

16 July 2009

1875 – No.1 Poultry, London

Architect: J. & J. Belcher Early design proposal for No.1 Poultry, which was ultimately to become the Mappin & Webb building, also designed by John Belcher. It was demolished eventually in 1194 when...

16 July 2009

1875 – Offices for The London School Board, Victoria Embankment, London

Architect: Bodley & Garner Selected Design published in The Architect May 10th 1873. This building was ultimately to become much larger than illustrated with the same design mirrored around a central tower and...

08 February 2011

1875 – St. Agnes Church, Vicarage & School, Kennington Park, London

Architect: George Gilbert Scott (Jnr) Construction began in 1875 on this neo-Gothic building by George Gilbert Scott, Jr. The church was outfitted by his apprentice, Temple Moore, and included stained glass by Charles...

24 February 2011

1875 – St. Saviours Church for the Deaf & Dumb, Oxford Street, London

Architect: Arthur W. Blomfield In June 1875 a church named St. Saviours was opened on a site in Oxford Street that had been leased to the Association for The Deaf & Dumb by...

16 July 2009

1875 – The Horseshoe Hotel, Tottenham Court Road, London

Architect: Edward L. Paraire The former Horseshoe Hotel at 264-7 Tottenham Court Road is a substantial building, constructed in three phases, of yellow London stock bricks with terra cotta and Portland stone dressings...

18 September 2012

1876 – “Baynard Castle”, Queen Victoria Street, London

Architect: Major Wieland The original Baynard Castle was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. This Victorian ‘version’ which has also now disappeared stood directly in front of Wren’s last London...

19 October 2009

1876 – Church of St. Jude, Peckham, London

Architect: Arthur W. Blomfield This building, which replaced an earlier iron church, was bombed during the Second World War. Only the vestry survived and was then referred to as St Jude’s Chapel. It...

08 March 2010

1876 – Middle Class Schools for the Grocers Company, Hackney, London

Architect: Theophilus Allen The winning entry in an architectural competition for a school for the Grocers Company in Hackney. The Company was founded in the fourteenth century (1345) as the Guild of Pepperers....