Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Liverpool

26 September 2012

1886 – St James Church, Bootle, Liverpool

Architect: Hadfield & Son The foundation stone for the St. James church was laid on the 20 July 1884, twelve months after the building had commenced. It opened in early 1886. When the...

11 December 2009

1886 – Third placed design for Liverpool Cathedral

Architect: James Brooks James Brooks’ design for Liverpool Cathedral, which was submitted in competition with William Emerson’s & Bodley & Garner’and which placed second. The site for this competition was adjacent to George’s...

29 May 2010

1887 – New Royal Infirmary, Liverpool

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse Published in The Building News, July 1st 1887.

06 May 2010

1887 – Parish Church, Woolton, Liverpool, Lancashire

Architect: Grayson & Ould Published in The Building News August 27th 1886. The population of Woolton village grew steadily in the 19th century and the previous church, constructed in 1826, was felt to...

10 June 2009

1892 – Victoria Building, University of Liverpool, Liverpool

Architects: Alfred Waterhouse

13 July 2009

1896 – Royal Insurance Building, Liverpool, Lancashire

05 February 2014

1897 – White Star Line Building, Liverpool, Lancashire

Architect: Richard Norman Shaw & J. Francis Doyle Designed by Richard Norman Shaw with J. Francis Doyle, it was built for the Ismay, Imrie and Company shipping company, which later became the White...

05 February 2011

1899 – Post Office, Liverpool

Architect: Henry Tanner Probably one of the finest post office buildings in the UK, reminiscent of a French chateau. Unfortunately, the building was severely damaged in the May blitz in 1941, resulting in...

06 May 2014

1899 – Selected Design for Royal Institution, Liverpool

Architect: Briggs & Wolstenholme The Liverpool Royal Institution was a learned society set up in 1814 for “the Promotion of Literature, Science and the Arts”. After the construction of the William Brown Library...

13 July 2009

1900 – Parrs Bank, Castle Street, Liverpool, Lancashire

Architect: Richard Norman Shaw Still in use as a bank, now a branch of NatWest. The upper floors remain largely as designed by Shaw, the ground floor fenestration and detailing has been simplified.