Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Lancashire

13 July 2009

1873 – Queens Road Schools, Liverpool, Lancashire

Architect: T. Cooke & J.E. Reeve From The Building News, November 14 1873: “We give this week illustrations of these schools, which are in course of erection from the designs of Messrs. Cook...

23 April 2013

1873 – Rectory, Wigan, Lancashire

Architect: George Edmund Street Published in The Building News, October 3 1873: “Our illustration of the new Rectory House, Wigan, is a facsimile of Mr. Street’s drawing of the building in the Royal...

01 February 2010

1873 – Wholesale & Fish Markets, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Speakman, Son and Hickson / Mangnall & Littlewood Manchester Corporation decided in the early 1870s to replace the city’s main fish market in Strangeways with a new one located near Shudehill, close...

14 May 2013

1874 – Offices for Lancaster Gas Company, Lancashire

Architect: Roland Charnley Published in The Building News, November 27 1874: “Which are now about completed, stand on a plot of ground adjoining the Town-hall, and facing towards the market-place. On the ground-...

13 July 2009

1874 – Owens College, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse John Owens, a Manchester textile merchant, bequeathed £96,942 in 1846 for the purpose of founding a college for the education of males on non-sectarian lines. Owens College was established and...

08 November 2012

1874 – Royal Exchange, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Mills & Murgatroyd The first Manchester cotton exchange opened in 1729 but closed by the end of the century. A second exhcnage by Thomas Harrison opened in 1809 and this was further...

29 October 2012

1874 – Seaman’s Orphanage, Newsham Park, Liverpool

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse The Liverpool Seamen’s Orphan Institution was established in order to provide care and education for the many Liverpool children who lost families at sea. In 1870 Liverpool City Council donated...

15 March 2011

1874 – Skating Rink, Southport Winter Gardens, Lancashire

Architect: Maxwell & Tuke Designed by Maxwell & Tuke of Bury. Published in The Building News, December 24th 1875. The Winter Gardens were opened on 16 September 1874, on the sea front at...

29 June 2009

1874 – St. Alban’s Nursing Institution & Boy’s School, Rochdale, Lancashire

Architect: Joseph Clarke Perspective view published in The Building News, March 6th 1874.

29 June 2009

1875 – Bowlee School at Rhodes, Lancashire

Architect: John Ladds