Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of North West England

24 June 2010

1863 – Borough Hospital, Birkenhead, Cheshire

Architect: Walter Scott “The design is in the Italian style of architecture. The site selected is a piece of land fronting a hospital in Hamilton-street, and which has been found totally inadequate to...

25 June 2010

1863 – Proposed Hotel, Keswick, Cumbria

Architect: John Ross Published in The Builder, December 26 1863

08 November 2012

1864 – Assize Courts, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse Designed by Alfred Waterhouse in the neo-Gothic style, construction began in 1859 and was completed in 1864. This was Waterhouse’s first major commission, won by open competition, and the nearby...

04 September 2011

1866 – Estate Workshops at Redvales, Lancashire

Architect: James Green The Earl of Derby’s Estate Workshops, at Redvales, near Bury, Lancashire.

05 September 2012

1866 – Grosvenor Hotel, Chester, Cheshire

Architect: T.M. Penson Designed and built between 1863 and 1866 by the Chester architect Thomas Mainwaring Penson – it his last major work. It was completed after his death by his son’s firm...

11 March 2013

1867 – Albert Memorial Industrial Schools, Birkenhead, Cheshire

Architect: David Walker In 1864 Sir William Jackson donated land for the building of the Birkenhead industrial school. The school was to stand in the centre of the poorest area of Birkenhead –...

15 February 2013

1867 – Designs for proposed buildings in Sefton Park, Liverpool

Architect: André & Hornblower Sefton Park is a 235 acre, Grade II* historic park in the Sefton Park district of Liverpool. In 1867 the local council purchased the land from the Earl of...

15 March 2010

1867 – Offices & Shops, Lord St., Liverpool

Architect: H.H. Vale Published in The Building News, September 27 1867.

25 March 2013

1868 – Church of St Thomas of Canterbury and the English Martyrs, Preston, Lancashire

Architect: Edward Welby Pugin On 26 May 1866, Bishop Goss laid the foundation stone for the church. Designed by Edward Welby Pugin, the eldest son of Augustus Pugin. The church was initially meant...

12 February 2013

1868 – Warehousemen and Clerks’ Orphan Schools, Manchester

Architect: Ernest Bates Formed as The Manchester Warehousemen and Clerks’ Orphan Schools in 1855, moved to this site in 1869, and now known as Cheadle Hulme School. From The Building News: “ONE of...