Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of North West England

09 March 2010

1869 – New Municipal Offices, Liverpool, Lancashire

Architect: Edward Robert Robson From The Architect and Contract Reporter, May 29 1869: The Municipal Government of Liverpool has arrived at its present condition, power, and comprehensiveness, by slow degrees and through the...

23 April 2012

1869 – New Wesleyan Chapel, Alsager, Cheshire

Architect: George B. Ford Now known as Wesley Place Methodist Church. Published in The Building News, April 8th 1870. “THIS chapel (with which it will be seen a school is combined) occupies a...

11 March 2013

1869 – Restoration of Chester Cathedral, Cheshire

Architect: George Gilbert Scott, From The Building News: “WE give this week two views of Chester Cathedral as it will appear when restored. Tradition, in this as in so many other cases, ascribes...

19 June 2009

1870 – Church of SS. Peter & Paul, Helsby, Cheshire

Architect: John Douglas St Paul’s Church was built in 1869-70 and consecrated on 28th July 1870. The building was erected from funds donated by local subscription. Sited just at the foot of Helsby...

27 July 2010

1870 – Cottage Hospital, Lytham, Lancashire

Architect: Henry Littler Front Elevation & Plan with key published in The Building News, October 21st 1870. “THE hospital, an illustration of which we give, is being built by Colonel Clifton, the lord...

11 August 2010

1870 – Free Library, Salford, Lancashire

Architect: Royle & Bennett Front elevation, longitudinal & transverse section including plan as published in The Building News, December 16th 1870. “ON Monday evening last this building (of which we give an illustration)...

14 October 2009

1870 – Manchester Reform Club, Lancashire

Architect: Salomons & Jones From The Builder: “We give a view of the Club building now in course of erection in Manchester. The basement is to be let as stores, the ground floor...

04 September 2012

1870 – Market Hall, Burnley, Lancashire

Architect: James Green Constructed but without the planned tower. Contained 32 shops and 132 linear yards of stalls. The market area was covered by a three span wrought iron and glass roof. Demolished...

20 July 2010

1870 – Proposed Infirmary, Wigan, Lancashire

Architect: Thomas Worthington Image published in The Building News, March 4th 1870. “WE this week publish a plan and view of a design by Mr. Thomas Worthington, of Manchester, for the new infirmary...

11 March 2013

1870 – St. Alban’s Church, Tattenhall, Cheshire

Architect: John Douglas It is believed that a church has existed on this site since the time of the Norman conquest. Although the tower and parts of the present church date from the...